ANKARA:(APS) August 21, 2016- At least 30 people were killed and dozens more wounded late Saturday night in an attack possibly carried out by a suicide bomber on a wedding party in the Turkish city of Gaziantep near the Syrian border, officials said.
The explosion is the latest attack to have rocked the key NATO member in a horrific year that has seen a string of strikes blamed on Kurdish and the militant Islamic State (IS) group, as well as a bloody July 15 botched coup.
Gaziantep governor Ali Yerlikaya said in a statement that 50 people had been killed and 94 wounded in “an abhorrent terror bomb attack on a wedding”.
“We condemn the traitors who organised and carried out this attack,” he said, vowing that those responsible would be “brought to account”.
Mehmet Erdogan, a ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) lawmaker for Gaziantep said it was not clear who was responsible for the explosion but there was a “high possibility” it was a suicide attack.
The lawmaker added that it was the type of attack that could have been launched by the IS group or the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK).