KARACHI:(APS)August 27, 2016- Five more Muttahida Qaumi Movement offices were razed while a total of 196 ‘sector and unit’ offices in the city were sealed in a renewed crackdown on the party after the arrest of three suspected hitmen belonging to the “MQM London secretariat” and as many women activists on Friday for allegedly attacking media houses.
A source told media that the record of MQM’s Khurshid Begum Memorial Secretariat in Azizabad — which was sealed with party’s Nine-Zero headquarters on Monday night — was also being looked into to find out whether the complex was constructed legally or it was also an encroachment on an amenity plot.
The MQM raised its voice against the demolition of its offices, but it ruled out any protest against the government action, explaining that it would follow a legal path. Also, the party announced on Friday that it would challenge the ‘snatching of its mandate’ in Karachi’s West district elections.
Equipped with heavy machinery, local administration backed by a heavy contingent of law enforcement agencies demolished the MQM offices mainly in Karachi’s East district.
A total of 10 offices had been bulldozed over the past two days, officials said, hinting that the sealed offices would also meet the same fate. They added that the action was being taken, because the MQM offices were constructed on encroached land.
Leader of the Opposition in the Sindh Assembly Khwaja Izhar-ul-Hasan, however, told a TV channel that all the MQM offices sealed off by the law enforcers were not constructed illegally. He criticised the government for bulldozing party offices which were there for the past 30 years.
However, he showed restraint when he said that the MQM would not take to streets to protest against the move. “We will adopt a legal course and will take back our offices including Nine-Zero legally.”