Monday, October 26, 2020
BREAKING NEWS
Home » National » 9 civilians killed by Indian shelling on passenger bus in AJK

9 civilians killed by Indian shelling on passenger bus in AJK

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Ads.

Please go to the plugin admin page to set up your ad code.

loc-f

Nakial :(APS)November 23, 2016-Indian troops resumed heavy shelling on Wednesday after a day-long lull and targeted a passenger bus in Azad Jammu and Kashmir’s Lawat area, killing nine people and injuring 11 others. In a separate incident of Indian shelling in Nakial, one person was killed and three others injured, according to initial reports.

“Indian troops hit a passenger coaster with small and big arms in the town of Lawat, killing nine passengers and injuring 11 others,” said Jamil Mir, superintendent of police (SP) in Neelum Valley.

“Four bodies and all 11 injured persons have arrived in District Headquarters Hospital Athmuqam, but five bodies are still in the coaster,” SP Mir said.

The coaster was on its way to Muzaffarabad. Lawat is located some 90 kilometres northeast of here in the upper belt of valley that straddles the restive Line of Control (LoC).

SP Mir said shelling in Neelum valley had begun at about 3:00am, but intensified in the morning. Officials from other areas had similar stories.

Sardar Zeeshan Nisar, assistant commissioner of Nakyal, in the southern Kotli district said, “Shelling in my area has started at about 8:40 am, and it has been indiscriminate.”

“So far, four injured persons have been brought to a health facility, but I am afraid there may be more casualties, as shelling is ongoing,” Nisar said. He later said that one of the wounded had succumbed to their injuries.

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Ads.

Please go to the plugin admin page to set up your ad code.

Tatta Pani sector of district Kotli was also receiving shells, but so far there was no report of casualties there.

Locals in Battal, Madarpur sectors of district Poonch said their areas were also hit by heavy shelling.

“There were unconfirmed reports about some people having been injured, but we are awaiting confirmation,” a police official told media from Madarpur.

Military sources said that Pakistan army was serving “knee-jerk” response to Indian shelling.

The Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) in a statement confirmed that Pakistani and Indian troops had exchanged fire across the LoC on Wednesday.

“Indian troops targeted a civilian bus near the LoC in Neelum Valley,” the ISPR said, adding that four people were killed and seven injured when the bus was near Dhudnial.

Earlier, ISPR said, “Indian resorted to unprovoked firing and shelling on LoC in Shahkot, Jura, Battal, Karela, Bagh , Bagsar, Hotspring sectors today.”

Indian forces were targeting the civilian population, ISPR said. “An intense exchange of fire is ongoing as Pakistani troops target Indian posts.”

Indian army on Tuesday claimed three of its soldiers were killed along the LoC and threatened Pakistani forces of retribution.

The army also claimed that the body of one of the dead soldiers had been “mutilated.”

The Foreign Office however rejected the claim, saying that the “reports are a fabrication and a blatant attempt to malign Pakistan”.

Your ads will be inserted here by

Easy Ads.

Please go to the plugin admin page to set up your ad code.

BIGTheme.net • Free Website Templates - Downlaod Full Themes